Monday, April 16, 2007

Welcome to Food of the Gods!

I posted recently on Curleygirl Days about the Food of the Gods...casseroles! Now that we have two little Curleygirls, I'm having to greatly minimize our grocery store adventures, which means one trip per week, usually during preschool hours (don't know what I'm gonna do this summer!).

Every week, usually on Saturdays, I put together the menu for the week (Sundays through Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are for grilling or eating out). This usually means scouring the web, starting with the Food Network site, and gathering recipes. I gather everything electronically and then create my grocery list from the ingredients lists. Then I add the staples such as milk, and anything else we need. Then I do the supernerd thing and organize the grocery list according to my store to maximize shopping efficiency. I only have one morning of shopping freedom ya know...don't need to spend it all in Publix!


Anyways, I've run across some great recipes that I wanted to share. I want to post them here and let you know what we thought. Also, please let me know if you've got any good recipes. I'm always on the lookout!

Just for informational purposes, our schedule requires the following:
Easy night - Mapgeek's softball night usually
Casserole night - day Mapgeek works late and I'll have dinner ready when he gets home without a lot of effort
Crockpot night - my day off, so dinner is ready on time
Fish night - trying to eat healthier!
Experiment night - usually Sundays, when we're both home and have more time for involved cooking

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pork Chops

Ingredients

Pork Chops, thick sliced, center cut- 4 or 5
Yellow onion- 1- lge
Yellow apple- 1- lge
Celery stalk - 1
Garlic - 1 -wedge
Olive oil
Orange Blossom honey
Apple Cider vinegar
Thyme
Oregano

Trim fat from chops and place in fry pan. Brown chops on outside in olive oil and chopped garlic, along with fat. Do not leave them in the pan, but remove and place in oven pan as soon as browned.

Finely chop onion, apple and celery and spread over chops. Pour 1 cup vinegar into pan,along with thyme and oregano (approx 1 tblsp)
and refridgerate overnight. Never marinate pork except in fridge.

Preheat ovento 275deg. F. Chops will bake slowly while you baste them as you add about tblsp of honey to cover each one. Continue to bake slowly until chops are tender, usually 2-3 hrs
and remember to baste them.